The March of the Medusas Workshop

I am here pictured with Pork Chop and Dennis McNett known as Wolfbat. The art community completely embraced the town of Asbury Park this week. Thank you to Jenn Hampton of Parlor Gallery and the Wooden Walls Project for sprearheading this huge undertaking. Also, thank you to Madison Marquette for providing the use of the Carousel building. I could go on and on about spending time in one of these iconic, historic buildings in Asbury Park. We are SO lucky they are here and being used. Wolfbat traveled to be here (not so sure from where). But, he has brought his Large Handmade Puppet parades to cities across America. I was supposed to go to all the workshops held each day leading up to Saturday. My car is dead, and needs a new engine. So, by the time Wednesday came Ian was ready to send me an Uber. I called my good friend Zandra and asked her if she would like to take the workshop and join me. She thought it sounded fun, so we were able to at least get to one of the workshops. The masks take six hours to make and I was able to join in watching my son Ian make his mask. He had a full week of shows, and getting ready to play both days at Sea Hear Now. Dennis was very attentive and helpful not only to Ian, but to the community who were at every table. Zandra and I each painted one of the masks supplied to us. It was great to see the community of all ages join in on the fun. The sun started to set, and a beautiful colorful light started to shine through the Medusa windows. Some sweet young girls were getting their pictures taken with their masks. They formed a conga line and danced their way out of the building. Thanking everyone as they left. All the supplies were free, and they had light snacks for all. Jenn Hampton was a lovely hostess making us feel welcome. I have always loved Asbury Park and it's comeback. But, this experience really sealed the deal for me. We are extremely lucky to have this Art Community and recieve what they are giving to us. Public Art is not to be taken lightly. It is a reflection of many Artists working for your love. To witness all the hugs, smiles, sweat and tears that went into this project was truley Magical. You can get to know more about these truley talented Artists here: Pork Chop designed Ian's New T-shirts. Ian plays every Monday Night at the RBar on main street in Asbury Park. New Long Sleeve shirts are available with the RBar logo at the restaurant. Dennis McNett is Wolfbat who made the giant puppet used in the parade. They were also on display all week. He showed the community how to make paper mache masks. He also supplied prints to paint. And, the prints were also used to decorate the masks. I have silk screened in college. So, I realized the immense amount of work that went into this project before this week. Along with the whole week devoted to the project and parade. Jenn Hampton has been a force in Asbury Park since before I opened a store (Greetings from Geralyn 2010-2016 in Convention Hall and Cookman). She features amazing Artists in Parlor Gallery on Cookman by the Showroom movie theatre. Also, she is part of the Wooden Walls Project which features Artists from all over the World. The Wooden Walls Project can be found here. The Carousel building brings special memories for me. It held a merry go round I rode as a child. My friends and I would sneak there when we first started driving. We would try to get the brass ring. And, I did. Also, on occasion I wear a necklace with a brass ring from the carousel that an Artist who is not on social media gave me when I closed the store. I did get a brass ring when I had a store in Asbury Park. Asbury Park is a gift that is rich in experience and memories. Long live Asbury Park, which was once referred to as Asburied Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

You Are Free