Favorite Pastimes

It's been about a year now, since I left working fulltime. I bought some books to read, because I wanted to read again. I also was getting a lot of suggested reading from my writing classes. I have been thinking about getting audible for years. I was so glad I did. I was back to my old self, with concentration enough to get through a couple of books a week again. Through this Music Heals program I wanted to read Suleika Jaouad's Book of Two Kingdoms. It is a really intense book about her battle with Cancer starting at the age of 23. It included starting a relationship with Jon Batiste, who she originally met in band camp. And, my favorite part was when she was in recovery Jon and a group of musicians came and played "When the Saints Come Marching In" in her hospital room. The movie on Netflix "American Symphony" also continues their journey. The second book was Jonathan Biss's Unquiet: My Life with Beethoven. This was very short and I loved because it included his piano playing of Beethoven. And, the third book I am about halfway through is Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett. This is a fictional book about a family of five. The father suffers from mental illness, and the story is told from the wife, father and children's perspective. I wasn't thrilled with the subject matter. But, the one son starts talking about disco music, and the story comes alive. I went to a book club meeting presented by the same group Music Heals through Princeton University Concerts. It was interesting, and loved hearing everyone's opinions about the books. I also was able to see the embrodery exhibit. That night there was a zoom call including the authors. And, a live performance at the University will follow on April 24th. This was such a great experience for me. Because, if you have been reading me, you would know how much music influences me. And, yes it is helping me heal. The song "Butterfly" by Jon Batiste is the one that came along last year, that swept me off my feet. It is sad, but uplifting at the same time. And, the conclusion to get me through any type of grief is what all of these books conclude. Sometimes, there are no answers, just the curiosity of what the future will bring. And, we just have to find the things that carry us through. And, there is no doubt, music heals. Quote of the day: Suleika Jaouad “Melissa painted self-portraits from bed; I wrote self-portraits from bed. Watercolors and words were the drugs we preferred for our pain. We were learning that sometimes the only way to endure suffering is to transform it into art.” Song of the day: Michelle Obama and Jon Batiste talking about Music and Healing Also, what came from the Book Club is about the connections, which can be made through music. Sharing more on Instagram stories this morning of the embroidery with wings to lift us up and help us rise! And, even the sound of the songbird can be the music that heals. No words needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

You Are Free