Watch This Free Spirit Fly

The present year is 2023, and last week I was treated to a fifty year reunion from St. Catharine's Elementary School in Spring Lake, New Jersey. This picture is from my First Holy Communion in front of the school. It was nice to see everyone, and we had a tour of the school. The walls were the same. But, I especially liked there were art prints in the hallways. I was really impressed by some of the artists they chose to represent. And, the biggest surprise was a nun (she taught 3rd, 7th, and 8th grade) and a beloved 2nd grade teacher, who drove a mustang convertible were in attendence. It was nice to share stories, and remember what life was like fifty years ago. The subject came up of the favorite question teachers liked to ask. "What do you want to BE when you grow up?" I don't think I ever had an answer of what I wanted to be. I think I always answered what they would want to hear. I probably said a teacher. So, my story begins here at age 63. I declared this year to just BE. What does this mean? I don't even know yet, because I am only half way through the year. But, for me it means a year of not being so hard on myself. It means letting go of the past, and being open to whatever happens in the future. I am doing some planning of little day trips to keep my spirits up. I am really looking forward to the future, and so thankful for the world around me. Quote of the day: “Living life as an artist is a practice. You are either engaging in the practice or you’re not. It makes no sense to say you’re not good at it. It’s like saying, “I’m not good at being a monk.” You are either living as a monk or you’re not. We tend to think of the artist’s work as the output. The real work of the artist is a way of being in the world.” ― Rick Rubin, The Creative Act: A Way of Being Song of the Day: I chose this song, because in school we used to have musical shows. And, the nun who was in attendence brought this up. And, it was one of my favorite moments of school. The song and the performers were letting loose. Footloose and fancy free we were. And, the song itself represents youth and memories of having fun. Crocodile Rock by Elton John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

You Are Free