The Ocean Avenue Stompers

>The Ocean Avenue Stompers may be my son's band. So, they could be my favorite for that reason. But, there are so many other reasons to love them. They are multi-faceted. They do it all. They can play your favorite nostalgic romantic music for a wedding. Or play jazz each week at their residency at the R Bar on Main Street(free parking) in Asbury Park. Or they can do a second line at a funeral, neighborhood block party or music festival like Sea Hear Now. And, this year at Sing Us Home in Philadelphia. So, each time I have seen them this year I have been surprised. Surprised and excited because I never know what to expect. I witnessed a tremendous amount of energy and growth. And, most of all, the smiles, showing a really good energy of their accomplishments. I have met many fans who rave about them. Of course, I couldn't agree more. But, this weekend. It is Thursday, and I saw them perform on Saturday. I am still waking up each morning in a fuzzy reality. Did that REALLY happen? Did I really see them on stage with Brandon Flowers of the Killers and Nathaniel Ratecliff and the Night Sweats? I filmed it all, so yes it really happened. They are the two biggest bucket list bands I have wanted to see in the last five years. I still can't get over it. And, when they did second line on the boadwalk they were joined with Jake Clemons of the Estreet band, the Night Sweat horns and the most popular tuba player ever. Ben Jeffe is the creative director of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. I followed the band into convention hall. I was basically walking on sunshine already, after the electicfying performance of Tenth Avenue Freezeout. I was late and walked up and was dancing next to Danny Clinch's wife. I was dancing too and was caught up in the crowd and their response. All the smiles and EVERYONE singing along. It was magical. And, when I walked up the ramp is when the tuba player turned around was when I saw the Preservation Hall tuba. I had no idea while they were on the boardwalk who joined in. I was behind the tubas and couldn't see much more through the sea of people. So, I was stunned speechless and Ben's response to me was so sweet. He went on how it was a surprise for Ian, too. I don't even know what I was saying at that point. But, he gave me the sweetest hug. I am honored and humbled to have witnessed the amount of talent who graced the beaches and bars of Asbury Park this weekend. It was a sea of smiles. I keep calling it a Love fest. I heard SO many musicians exclaim their hearts were full. Imagine how we all felt as the audience. Asbury Park makes me feel alive and I am so thankful for what it brings to our lives. Quote of the day: In 50 years, I don't think you're gonna look back at 2006 and say, 'The good old days.' Brandon Flowers Song of the Day: The Good Old Days. The Revivalists

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

You Are Free