The Yellow Brick Road

It was 1999 and I had interviewed in New York City. I was recommended by Nancy Petracco, who owned Crabtree and Evelyn in Spring Lake. Brielle Galleries was closed or closing. The interview went well, and for the first time in my life, I said I had to think about it. We had just put an addition on our house, and my twins were eight years old. I ended up taking the job. I was a manufacture's representative for about forty toy and stationery companies. My territory was central and south Jersey. It was my yellow brick road into a world of free merchandise being delivered to my door daily. The two publishing companies I represented were Workman Publishing and Andrews and McMeel. To say I loved this job was an understatement. The day of my birthday I recieved a box from All Night Media. It was a Thank You and the letter G rubber stamp including embossing powder, rubberstamp pad, and heat gun. It said this was for me to use and practice with, to help sell the product. It was the most perfect gift. Pictured here is a book I recieved as a sample. There is an ad I ripped out from the magazine Country Living ( I think). I wrote I wanted to do this for my birthday. I ended up taking Kaylyn. We waited on a very long line. I had to buy a doll she signed (I sold on Ebay). And, this book I had recieved free from my job. Kaylyn colored a page and gave it to her. My daughter told her she wanted to be an Artist like her some day. And, Kaylyn is a very talented artist today with Murals painted in the town she lives in and in the entry way of a WalMart in Pennsylvania. I may have loved this job, but it was the hardest job I ever had. I loved that I basically worked from home, and I traveled all over the state when the kids were in school. We had an unfinished bathroom upstairs I used for storage. And, a desk where I did all of the paper work. My biggest challenge was all of the best sellers from the two publishing companies were sold in Costco. But, every once is awhile I would have a gift store owner who would buy a whole display unit of Mary Engelbriet. Etoys was also a big thing at the time. So, this is when it all began....the survival of the brick and mortar store against big box and the internet. Actually, I was a merchandiser for a jewelry company, and had WalMart, Jamesways and Pathmarks. And, even two of these big box stores never survived. Which brings me where the yellow brick road brought me today. I am representing books on the internet. It is an amazing opportunity, and makes total sense for me in today's market. I don't do much ordering on the internet. But, all of things I will be sharing, I will be buying online, now. Last year I went from store to store for weeks looking for a calender. Only to order it online. I am so glad to share the Mary Englebreit's page in my shop! After twenty five years she is still at it. In this world today I find the most comfort in the things that don't seem to change, but evolve and stay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

Keep The Fire Burning