Mindful Mending

Last Sunday I took a workshop in the Carousel Building in Asbury Park. The history of Asbury Park is fascinating. My mind is always a mixture of feelings with so many memories made there. But, most of all I love the new memories still being made. There was so much positive, good, happy, energy this weekend. Like it was each person's job to make sure more then 35,000 people left the town of Asbury Park feeling safe and content. One of my favorite parts of the Sea Hear Now festival is the Art and Artists it brings to town. This year, on Sunday Jenn Hampton and the Wooden Walls Project brought Ben Venom in from San Francisco for a day of sewing appliques. I loved his style of teaching. A few hours in the morning to make the applique. And, a few hours in the afternoon to attach it. I had to work in the afternoon. So, I realized early on I wanted to embroider my skull. I also wanted to do the work at home. Ben shared some great quotes. I now take notes on my phone so I don't forget: "A little danger is ok" in artmaking. And, the other notable one was "In order to succeed in life. You have to fail in public." In other words you have to put yourself out there in order to get any where. I hope to embroider the words on a cloth napkins to send him as a thank you! On 9/11/24 I turned on the tv for the reading of the names of the lost souls. I pulled out my smock and got to work. I used black thread and it was very soothing process to embroider the features of the skull. 9/11 is still a very emotional day for me, and I almost didn't go to the afternoon workshop. But, It felt real good to have it done to wear to the parade on Sunday. I have had strange timing this year with a mix of bad and good. But, being involved in something like this has been just the distraction I needed. It is clear to me: Music Heals. Art Heals and Writing Heals. But, it also can make you feel powerful, magical and super human. But, as life has it, I went through another scare this weekend. I had full body scan by dermatologist last week. On Friday morning I was given the news a new spot was found serious and to schedule an appointment with the plastic surgeon. Monday was my appointment, I was relieved to hear I would have surgery in 2 weeks. And, it would be nothing like I went through in May. It will be 15 minutes. And, I don't have to go under anesthesia. It is in the same area I had the melanoma removed. The funny thing is, it is out of sight and out of mind for me. So, I am just going to say for others to make sure you get checked. This area was looked at many times after my surgery, and it only was two months to have another pre-cancer growth to appear.
When I was involved with Diana Weymar's project for the Music Heals, it was the same thing. Started the project with no idea I had something to heal from. And, then very quickly I was diagnosed with melanoma. And, then I went to the exhibit the week after surgery AND have my friend up from Florida to join me. It is what I am now calling devine timing. But, it is a feeling. It is a feeling of these opportunities are being presented to me. And, I have the feeling of following through. And, that is the magic. Not having someone to talk to on a day like 9/11 is a horrible feeling. So, I was happy to be in of all places but the carousel building in Asbury Park. I can still remember the activists that fought to keep that Carousel from being sold. And, the days of Asbury Lanes being an art, music venue and rising to new heights. Only to be "improved". Asbury Park has redeemed itself this weekend and many times before. But, then things like hurricane Irene, super storm Sandy and covid brings us to our knees again. That's where my dad would say "No one said it was going to be easy". But, it is a miracle. I celebrate Diana's book because she has been embroidering for years and has brought it all together in a book. The name of her book is: Crafting a Better World: Inspiration and DIY Projects for Craftivists published by Harvest/Harper Collins. You can get the book here. She has 122,000 followers on instagram. I admire what she has created, which is a community to give a voice to anyone who wants to express their thoughts with embroidery. I can't wait to buy the book. Happy I embroidered again this week. And, spent a full week in Asbury Park living the dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brave

The Little One

You Are Free